Danger at the Grill: How to Stay Safe This BBQ Season

Learn important safety tips on how to avoid accidental injury when grilling.
2:34 | 06/26/14

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:



Skip to this video now

Now Playing:


Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Danger at the Grill: How to Stay Safe This BBQ Season
"Gma" investigates. The summer grilling season, as you know, in high gear. This morning, the hazards of grilling and how to avoid them. Thousands of people injured every year while grilling. But grilling can be safe if you follow the rules. ABC's Alex Perez with some important summer safety information. Reporter: Summer sizzle. Family cookouts are here. Look how quickly those flames are moving. But a few mistakes and summertime fun can easy turn dangerous. Every year, gas and charcoal grills catch fire. Hannah storm is one of them. She started up her gas grill. Went inside, and discovered no flame. Without turning the gas off, she relit the grill. A huge fireball exploded. Reporter: The expotion so intense, she suffered severe burns on her face, chest and hands. Propane is a monster. And you have to respect it. You have to read your grill instructions. Of course, I didn't. No one does. Who does that? Reporter: To show you how to protect your family, "Gma" investigates teamed up with underwriters laboratori. First stop, gas or propane grills. This can be a big hazard. It could be if you don't do things right. Reporter: First tip, check hoses for gas leaks. There's a bubble forming right here. That means there's a leak. Reporter: And keep the lid open, when lighting the grill. Like a ticking time bomb. Reporter: And using this long pole, we ignite the grill. Watch again, in slow motion. Inside the grill, you see the gas buildup explode when we hit the ignition switch. That flame came here. Reporter: Charcoal grill. The grill should be ten feet away from your house. We put this grill too close to the demonstration house. After just a few minutes, the flames from the meat flare up. We have to move because it's getting too hot. Not long after that, the entire home, in flames. A firefighter working with us, standing by to extinguish it. For "Good morning America," Alex Perez, ABC news, Chicago.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"2:34","description":"Learn important safety tips on how to avoid accidental injury when grilling.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/GMA","id":"24313084","title":"Danger at the Grill: How to Stay Safe This BBQ Season","url":"/GMA/video/danger-grill-stay-safe-bbq-season-24313084"}