Health Alert: Dangers of Using a Grill Brush

Cheryl Harrison needed emergency surgery to remove the metal brush bristle after eating a burger at a family barbecue.
2:03 | 05/28/15

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:

{{nextVideo.title}}

{{nextVideo.description}}

Skip to this video now

Now Playing:

{{currentVideo.title}}

Comments
Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Health Alert: Dangers of Using a Grill Brush
This really caught our eye. Back now with a safety warning. Grill brushes may be a health hazard. Pieces of wire bristle can fall off and get in your food. One woman ended up in the emergency room. Could have been life-threatening. Reporter: After a family barbecue left Cheryl Harrison with such bad stomach pain she had to be rushed to the hospital. She knew there was something wrong. She never imagined this. A metallic object we see by x-ray. This centimeter and a half, or two sent meters. Reporter: He says it was a metal barbecue brush bristle. I was floored. I had no idea. Reporter: It took emergency surgery to get it out. I can't describe the pain. It was just a bad, bad pain. Reporter: Even stranger, it's not as unusual as you might think. This is the second case I have had this quheer. Talking to my partners, about three of four of them sad similar occasions. How are you feeling with your tube out? Reporter: The same thing happened in Seattle to 16-year-old tritsen beck. It hurt really bad. Reporter: In his case, it could have been worse. I sud Lynn saw a dplint of light off a piece of metal. My colleague said that look like a brush bristle. Reporter: The CDC warning about old barbecue brushes and the threat of tiny bristles falling off. Experts say consumers could inspect brushes. If worn down, throw them away and replace them. Or buy one of these, a brushless barbecue cleaner that uses a stone instead. That's what Cheryl did after she got out of the hospital. Emp should check your grill and I really would like people to realize that the danger is out there. Reporter: For "Good morning America," Neal Karlinsky, ABC news, Seattle.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"2:03","description":"Cheryl Harrison needed emergency surgery to remove the metal brush bristle after eating a burger at a family barbecue.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/GMA","id":"31358926","title":"Health Alert: Dangers of Using a Grill Brush","url":"/GMA/video/health-alert-dangers-grill-brush-31358926"}