Florida Boy Electrocuted While Swimming

The Sloan family says stainless steel light fixture in pool might have been corroding.
2:38 | 04/24/14

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:



Skip to this video now

Now Playing:


Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Florida Boy Electrocuted While Swimming
"Gma" investigates. We all know the risk of drowning with swimming pools. But they have another danger, that's electrocution. Matt Gutman has the story. Reporter: For the slope family, the backyard pool had once been the source of delight. But it would soon become the source of their greatest torment. There's a silent killer in my swimming pool. Reporter: A day two weeks ago, colt, seven years and seven days old, dove in. Why would you think that a kid swimming for years would jump in the pool and immediately get electrocuted. Reporter: Chris and Carla were out for the afternoon. But police suggest there was nothing they could have done. A corroded light fixture that may not have been grounded was the culprit. From 2002, to 201113 people have died from electrocutions in swimming pools. Anything under the water, stainless steel or aluminum, if it's corroding, there may be something else going on there. Reporter: If you think someone's being electrocuted in your pool, reach out to them with something that's not made of metal like this oar, and try to drag them out. And shut off the electricity in your house. His spirit inspired them to send this picture of the boy. This name naturally came by. You're Mr. Awesome. Reporter: For "Good morning America," Matt Gutman, ABC news, Miami. Beautiful, little boy. So very sorry for that family. And really important. Please, have a professional check your pool. We've got some information here. There is a risk of electrocution of any pool. A broken, improperly wired light can cause that fatal shock. They use a lighting system that automatically steps down to the 12 volts so you don't have the danger. The newest pools use the 12 volts. If it's an older pool, it has a higher voltage. People need to be aware of that. And the awareness raised if you have a pool, you should have a qualified electrician looking at your pool. Any questions or doubts, that's going to know for sure. Make it part of your opening season. I never heard of this before. Yeah. In the pools, that's the last thing they think about. Take a minute. It's not very expensive. It's worth it.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"id":23452381,"title":"Florida Boy Electrocuted While Swimming","duration":"2:38","description":"The Sloan family says stainless steel light fixture in pool might have been corroding.","url":"/GMA/video/swimming-pool-florida-boy-electrocuted-swimming-23452381","section":"GMA","mediaType":"default"}