Motel guests sickened after carbon monoxide leak

Nearly 50 people and a dog from a Super 8 motel in Winnipeg, Canada, were rushed to the hospital, according to authorities.
1:41 | 07/10/19

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:

{{nextVideo.title}}

{{nextVideo.description}}

Skip to this video now

Now Playing:

{{currentVideo.title}}

Comments
Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Motel guests sickened after carbon monoxide leak
The investigation now into a carbon monoxide leak that poisoned dozens of people at a motel in Canada. ABC's janai Norman with that story. Hey, janai. Reporter: Good morning. There are so many questions. Authorities want to know why so many people at that super 8 in Winnipeg, Canada, were exposed to carbon monoxide levels that were 20 times the normal limit. The calls came pouring in. Reports of an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning inside a super 8 motel in Winnipeg. The many fire paramedic service received a general alarm call from this location. Reporter: Authorities say nearly 50 people including staff and one dog were rushed to the hospital. More than a dozen listed in critical condition. Fire officials say the leak originated from the motel's boiler room. The major scare set off an alarm that detected the carbon monoxide levels were fwheerly 20 times over the limit. None of the patients were requiring resuscitation. None of them were intubated or anything. Reporter: Carbon monoxide, the so-called silent killer is odorless and colorless causing estimates from a headache to nausea to worse. Out of an abundance of caution, gas was shut off to the building while investigating the cause. We don't expect any fatalities from this. Reporter: They're crediting an automatic alarm with saving lives. Many require detectors and while the decision to place them in each unit varies, that's something you always should ask A lawsuit facing one of the

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"1:41","description":"Nearly 50 people and a dog from a Super 8 motel in Winnipeg, Canada, were rushed to the hospital, according to authorities.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/GMA","id":"64235464","title":"Motel guests sickened after carbon monoxide leak","url":"/GMA/News/video/motel-guests-sickened-carbon-monoxide-leak-64235464"}