Obama on anonymous NYT op-ed: 'That's not how our democracy is supposed to work'

"The claim that everything will turn out okay because there are people inside the White House who secretly aren't following the president's orders, that is not a check," Obama said.
1:40 | 09/07/18

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:

{{nextVideo.title}}

{{nextVideo.description}}

Skip to this video now

Now Playing:

{{currentVideo.title}}

Comments
Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Obama on anonymous NYT op-ed: 'That's not how our democracy is supposed to work'
In a healthy democracy there some checks and balances. On this kind of behavior this kind of inconsistency. Right now there's nothing. Republicans who know better. In congress and there there. They're quoted saying we know this kind of crazy. Are still bending over backwards to shield. This. Behavior from scrutiny or accountability or consequence. Seem utterly unwilling. To find the backbone to safeguard the institutions that make our democracy work. I'm by the way that the Clinton but everything. Turned out okay because there people inside. The White House who has frequently aren't following the president's orders. Bennett not a check I'm being serious here that's not how our democracy is supposed to work. They're not doing our food service. It promoted 90% of the crazy stuff that's coming out this White House and then. Saying don't Wear were promoting the other 10%. That's not how. Things are supposed to work. This is not normal. These are extraordinary times. And they're dangerous times.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"1:40","description":"\"The claim that everything will turn out okay because there are people inside the White House who secretly aren't following the president's orders, that is not a check,\" Obama said.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/Politics","id":"57677220","title":"Obama on anonymous NYT op-ed: 'That's not how our democracy is supposed to work'","url":"/Politics/video/obama-anonymous-nyt-op-ed-democracy-supposed-work-57677220"}