Transcript for Brain-eating amoeba found in Texas water supply
supply. The state governor now issuing a declaration for the entire here's ABC's elwyn Lopez. Reporter: Tonight, a disaster declaration for more than 300,000 Texans after a declaration for more than 6-year-old boy died from a brain-eating amoeba found in lake Jackson's water supply. That first head ct that they did on him did show the brain swelling. Reporter: Josiah Mcintyre first complained of a headache. Weeks later, he was dead. I'm angry and upset and sad and heartbroken. Reporter: His death sparking a weeks-long investigation concluding that Josiah contracted the deadly amoeba, often found in warm water, at a neighborhood splashpad or from a water hose. Statistically, what happened to Josiah is extremely rare. There have only been 34 cases of free living amoebic encephalitis over nine or ten year period. Reporter: Still parents warned to be careful about their kids swimming and bathing. It's not about drinking water. It's about avoiding activities where the water goes into the nose. Reporter: Tonight, lake Jackson's mayor said he doesn't know when the water will be safe. Is asking people there to be patient until this is resolved. Tom? Elwyn, thank you for that.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.