Detroit teenager’s double lung transplant caused by vaping

The 17-year-old was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia-like symptoms after vaping.
1:24 | 11/13/19

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:

{{nextVideo.title}}

{{nextVideo.description}}

Skip to this video now

Now Playing:

{{currentVideo.title}}

Comments
Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Detroit teenager’s double lung transplant caused by vaping
And we turn now to the vaping emergency. Tonight, doctors are now talking about the teenager who needed a double lung transplant. The patient was just 16 at Detroit's Henry Ford hospital and doctors saying today the teen was near death. One adding, what he saw in the teen's lungs was an evil he hadn't faced before. Here's ABC's linsey Davis. Reporter: After rushing to the hospital, days away from death, tonight, Detroit doctors are touting success after their life-saving measures to keep this teenager alive. This young patient would have died. There is no doubt about it. Reporter: His family says he was an otherwise healthy 16-year-old high school athlete, admitted to the hospital with pneumonia-like symptoms after vaping. His is the first known double lung transplant on a vaping patient. The teen asking doctors to show pictures of his damaged lungs. The white indicating scarred and inflamed tissue. This is an evil that I haven't faced before. I expect him hopefully to be an advocate to stop this madness. Reporter: 15-year-old Zane martin experienced similar damage. Don't vape unless you want to end up in the hospital. Reporter: Just last week, the CDC announced vitamin E acetate is a potential culprit in their investigation into the more than 2,000 cases of severe vaping-related illnesses and at least 40 deaths. Doctors say the teen is doing well. A full recovery is expected to take several months. David? Linsey Davis, thank you.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"1:24","description":"The 17-year-old was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia-like symptoms after vaping.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/WNT","id":"66953974","title":"Detroit teenager’s double lung transplant caused by vaping","url":"/WNT/video/detroit-teenagers-double-lung-transplant-caused-vaping-66953974"}