Harrison Ford's Frantic Call 90 Seconds After Takeoff

The NTSB is investigating what caused the plane's engine to fail.
2:16 | 03/08/15

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:



Skip to this video now

Now Playing:


Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Harrison Ford's Frantic Call 90 Seconds After Takeoff
Switching gears, actor Harrison Ford continues to recover from injuries suffered when he was forced to crash land his small plane. His son tweeting he is of strong mind, body and spirit this as we're learning new details about that flight that ended in a brush with death for the star and ABC's Brandi Hitt has the story from Los Angeles. Reporter: This morning Harrison Ford is recovering after his Thursday plane crash. His son tweeting an updayton 0 the action star's recovery overnight. Dad has the best care possible. On the mend and of strong mind, body and spirit. Ford's horrific flight from takeoff to crash landing all transpired in under five minutes. At approximately 2:19 Ford cleared for departure from the Santa Monica airport in his world war ii era Ryan pt aircraft. Ryan, 178, runway 2, 1. Reporter: An avid pilot flying westbound towards the pacific 90 seconds later making this frantic call. 53-178, engine failure, immediate return. Reporter: His terrifying descent back to the airport captured on video by stunned neighbors. Hope he's going to make it. Ryan 178 runway 3 clear to land. Reporter: He never made it to the runway. At approximately 2:22 going down on pen mar golf course 400 yards from the air important runway. If he decided to turn around to head back to the airport that tells us he probably had over 900, a thousand feet of altitude and figured he had enough to make it. There's a plane down. Reporter: These photos snapped ten minutes after the crash as rescue workers rush a badly injured Ford to ucla medical center. The mangled remains of his vintage plane removed the next day by national transportation safety board investigators. This morning still working to determine the cause of the star's brush with death. It's a 1942 vintage aircraft so there's not a lot of computers to it and so a lot of it is old school, we'll see what it is and look at everything. Reporter: You heard Harrison Ford calling the control tower to report that engine failure. He is expected to make a full recovery here at ucla medical center. His family says he battered but okay. Still no word on when he'll be released from the hospital.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"2:16","description":"The NTSB is investigating what caused the plane's engine to fail.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/GMA","id":"29479378","title":"Harrison Ford's Frantic Call 90 Seconds After Takeoff","url":"/GMA/video/harrison-fords-frantic-call-90-seconds-takeoff-29479378"}