Transcript for More than 50 sent to hospitals in Birmingham after chemical spill
Ginger, thank you. We are also following a chemical scare. Dozens of workers rushed to the hospital. Families have been warned to shelter in place. ABC's Steve osunsami on the scene playing Oum in Birmingham tonight. Reporter: Alabama police say the fumes here were so overcoming, they sent more than 50 people to area hospitals, and more than a dozen of them had trouble breathing. It's really strong with odor. It's almost like putting your nose to bleach, if you will, and sniffing. Reporter: Two chemicals that are regularly used to treat drinking water, that are not supposed to be mixed, were accidently combined, producing a toxic cloud of gas inside this Birmingham water treatment plant. Worried police blocked off streets and warned families to stay inside their homes before giving the all clear. The city says the gas is come fined to a small building in the back of the plant and that the water is safe to drink. Authorities say they're not sure who mixed the chemicals or why, but say they're not taking this lightly and are investigating.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.