Transcript for What parents should know about once-banned magnets being back on the market
Now to the "Gma" cover story. It's actually an alert for parents of young children about tiny magnets. They were banned several years ago, but they are back now on the market with a warning label but still sending some kids to the hospital after they swallowed them. Whit Johnson is back with that. Some little kids are mistaking the magnets for candy. Amy, that's right. Good morning to you. Take a look at these tiny and powerful little magnets. They usually come in packages of 100 or more in a variety of fun colors. Despite laws banning them as toys they are now back on store shelves. Marketed towards adults but still getting into the hands of small children. I'm making a necklace. Reporter: These colorful magnets may look like a lot of fun but doctors warn they are dangerous for young children. Little sister came down to snitch him out to say goose is upstairs eating magnets. Reporter: Portland mom crystal Mundy says the powerful magnets put her son Jason in the hospital after he swallowed them while playing. We thought they're going to pass. They'd stay together and pass together and maybe eventually he would just pass them and all of a sudden the next thing I know he's getting put into an ambulance. What we're looking at here is goose's abdomen and those are the five magnets. Reporter: The x-ray showing those five magnets latching together inside Jason's intestines. In the body doctors say the magnets can connect with enough force to cause serious and life-threatening damage to the digestive system. It can be potentially lethal. Reporter: Little Jason is expected to be okay. Magnets set like these often come with hundreds of pellets joined together as becauses or cubes. I found these beads easily kept behind the counter but take an up close look. You can see how tiny they are. While supervised my own daughters enjoyed showing me how the magnets worked. That's beautiful. Reporter: But the warning label right on the box says keep away from all children. The toy association releasing a statement reading, powerful magnets that are small enough to be swallowed have been banned in toys since 2008. These items are intended for adults, not children and are labeled accordingly. Unfortunately it still has play value for children and it still creates that hidden hazard where a parent wouldn't even necessarily know that any of the magnets from the set are missing. Now, because of the new package and labeling requirements they are not subject to the same strict standards that ordinary toys would be regulated with so doctors are stressing that parents just need to be educated. Main sure they keep them out of the hands of small kids. I understand they're also being marketed as adult stress relievers and you were messing with it, playing with it. It is addictive. These companies basically repackage them, rebranded them and you can see they can be molded and hand but the problem is watch this, these tiny little balls can come off and can fall on the floor and that's the danger to kids, even pets around the home as well. I can see and they're bright and shiny so the kids want to play with them.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.