Children Injured During Science Experiment Speak Out

Officials say the instructor did the experiment out of order, causing a chemical flash.
1:40 | 09/05/14

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:



Skip to this video now

Now Playing:


Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Children Injured During Science Experiment Speak Out
We'll get the latest on that freak explosion in the Reno children's museum. We're learning more what happened when a science experiment went terribly wrong and aditi Roy with the story. Okay, ready? Reporter: This morning fire officials say the explosion that injured 13 at Reno's softry museum caused by employee error likely. She is leaving out a key ingredient in the tornado experiment. You know what I didn't add, the alcohol. After she pours the methyl alcohol watch closely as a flash ignites then flames race across the countertop spilling onto the floor where children are sitting. Something just exploded. Children are hurt. Reporter: Officials say that alcohol is supposed to be applied before lighting a cotton ball to create the effect of a tornado, not after. This morning, children injured in the science demonstration gone wrong are speaking out. We just don't want to do that ever again. Ready? Reporter: 6-year-old Hayden and 4-year-old river rider were sitting in the front row Wednesday. It was loud. And then just tons of screaming. Reporter: Museum officials won't comment on what went wrong but say the presenter is now on administrative leave. How are you making sure this doesn't happen again? The demonstration, that caused the incident yesterday is suspended. We won't be doing that. Reporter: Little solace for the rider girls, their burns bandaged. They have second-degree burns to their leg, arms, toes, hands and she's got a tiny one to her cheek right here. Reporter: For "Good morning America," aditi Roy, ABC news, Reno.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"1:40","description":"Officials say the instructor did the experiment out of order, causing a chemical flash.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/GMA","id":"25259167","title":"Children Injured During Science Experiment Speak Out","url":"/GMA/video/children-injured-science-experiment-speak-25259167"}