US airports take urgent measures against deadly virus

Atlanta, JFK, LAX, SFO and Chicago O’Hare will screen passengers on all arriving flights from Wuhan, China, and some airlines are handing out face masks.
1:18 | 01/22/20

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:

{{nextVideo.title}}

{{nextVideo.description}}

Skip to this video now

Now Playing:

{{currentVideo.title}}

Comments
Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for US airports take urgent measures against deadly virus
Turning now to the latest on that deadly coronavirus, a case has been confirmed in the U.S. Over 440 people have been sickened. Most in Asia. The 'nine people have died. Let's go to Steve osunsami at hartsfield-jackson, Atlanta airport as health officials are expanding screenings all across the country. Good morning, Steve. Reporter: Good morning to you, robin. Health authorities are set to start screenings here at the international concourse in Atlanta, at Chicago o'hare and L.A.X., those screenings set to start this week looking for possible passengers who are arriving on connecting flights from places like Shanghai and Seoul, South Korea. There is one direct flight from Wuhan into the U.S. Today. A plane full of passengers and that plane is flying into JFK tonight. The other direct flight airport is San Francisco. Authorities say that when you look at connecting flights with possible passengers, we're talking about more than 40 flights into the U.S. Every day. The government says that the main airports with direct flights account for about 80% of passengers that they need to screen and that these other airports that they're adding, this one, Chicago and L.A.X., cover the remaining 20%. Robin. Everyone doing what they can. Steve, thank you.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"1:18","description":"Atlanta, JFK, LAX, SFO and Chicago O’Hare will screen passengers on all arriving flights from Wuhan, China, and some airlines are handing out face masks.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/GMA","id":"68445866","title":"US airports take urgent measures against deadly virus","url":"/GMA/News/video/us-airports-urgent-measures-deadly-virus-68445866"}