Payless Pulls Lighted Shoes After Family Says They Caught Fire

A Texas family claims the light-up shoes caused the backseat of their car to catch fire after they were left there overnight.
2:02 | 05/12/16

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:

{{nextVideo.title}}

{{nextVideo.description}}

Skip to this video now

Now Playing:

{{currentVideo.title}}

Comments
Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Payless Pulls Lighted Shoes After Family Says They Caught Fire
Popular kids' shoes. After what Bailey says they may have started a fire in their car investigators are focusing on batteries used to light them up ABC's Morris you have a compost here. With the new warning good mourning mark. Robin good morning we've all seen those little blinking kids' shoes well they're powered with lithium ion batteries which can explode or cause fires and that's exactly what this fairly things happens they're now speaking out to alert. Others. This morning these children's shoes are being pulled off the shelves after a Texas family says dear sons pair may have led to a big. Fire and it's scary announcement event days ago Attila and Joseph volunteer rod discovered a blaze in the back seat of their car. Flames burning a hole through the floor melting the passenger's seat and filling the vehicle with smoke and soot. They believe the culprit was the lithium ion battery powering the fun blinking lights on their toddler sons sneakers which he'd left in the car the blaze completely charting one issue its battery and wires left exposed. There was there's nothing else Ameritech is our fire and flattened. Today it was my son wasn't wearing about the time. Lithium ion batteries are extremely common used in millions of electronics every day from cell phones to tablets. But they can also be dangerous. In Britain have cases bursting into flames. Itself. Like with these hover boards and have recently been banned as cargo on passenger plane. The investigation into the car fire is still ongoing but authorities say the sneakers remain a possible cause. Payless where the issues were purchased telling ABC news they ever remove the shoes from store shelves out of an abundance of caution. Now the Consumer Product Safety Commission says this is the first case like this that they are aware of other retailers selling their issues are also pulling them for now and Robin that battery test the size of a penny certainly yes so tiny.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"2:02","description":"A Texas family claims the light-up shoes caused the backseat of their car to catch fire after they were left there overnight.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/GMA","id":"39058803","title":"Payless Pulls Lighted Shoes After Family Says They Caught Fire ","url":"/GMA/video/payless-pulls-lighted-shoes-family-caught-fire-39058803"}